We are so lucky to have so many amazing types of venues here in the Tampa Bay area! We’ll be doing features on rooftop, museums, beach, waterfront, and farms as well. So, for today we’re going to focus on 10 (otherwise this could be a long blog posting:-) of our favorite really unique non-hotel venues that we’ve photographed weddings at in the Tampa Bay (ish) area and how you can find out more info about them! In no particular order………
ARMATURE WORKS - DOWNTOWN TAMPA
I remember when this building was full of junk with holes in the ceiling. (It actually made for one of my favorite engagement sessions ever which was 7 years ago with Tara & Matt). Now it’s a public market, work space, and multiple event spaces. There’s exposed red brick everywhere, hardwood floors, and each space has a unique look with very cool light fixtures. We’ve recently done 2 weddings in the largest space which is the Gathering.
1. Number of guests up to 700
2. Style - Modern Industrial
3. Originally, it was the TECO streetcar warehouse, until in 1946 the streetcar system was abandoned for automobiles.
4. It was is disrepair for years and years, but has been turned into a 73,000 square foot mixed use space.
5. Right on the Hillsborough River there’s really pretty views of downtown Tampa and sunset from the docks on the river
NOVA 535 - ST. PETERSBURG
In the heart of St. Pete, Nova almost feels like you’re in the warehouse district of Chicago or New Orleans. The bamboo garden is a stunning spot to have your ceremony both day or night. I’m posting a night time ceremony so you can see how it looks with the market and up-lights. Inside, it’s a 2 story brick walled space with hardwood floors, wrap around bar downstairs and the second floor and DJ booth overlook the 1st floor. Space aside, Michael and his team are amazing to work with. Check out weddings and this fabulous styled shoot to see more!
1. Number of guests up to 270
2. Style - 1920s Modern
3. It use to be a 1920s five-and-dime store
4. The upstairs balcony has a DJ booth that overlooks the main floor
5. There are so many different ways you can use their spaces for ceremony, cocktails, and reception. Indoor, outdoor, Michael Novilla’s vision was to create a fun and unique space with not a ton of rules.
BAKERS RANCH - PARRISH
Just south of St Petersburg tucked away on this beautiful property with ancient oaks and a tudor style reception venue lies Bakers Ranch. The owners, Alla and Boris, dreamed of, and built this venue taking into account everything that makes a wedding amazing. They have 4 totally different styled spots to have your ceremony. Under the pergola, on the love lock bridge, in front of outdoor chapel, or under the ancient oaks. One of our favorite things is the humungous chandelier in the middle of the room that is retractable and can be raised and lowered for a super dramatic effect. It is also all inclusive except for photo, video, and hair/makeup so their staff literally walks you through choosing every detail and is there to make sure it’s perfect on the day of! Check out these weddings and these 2 different styled shoots to see more at Bakers Ranch.
1. Number of guests up to 200
2. Style - European Tudor
3. They say “when you’re here, your family” which is totally true and we love working with their team.
4. Alla invented her own fabulous Little Tipsy Cakes which (literally cake and alcohol in a jar) that you can order for wedding favors or just because they are so freaking delicious!
5. The guys getting ready space is upstairs with a pool table, and lounge chairs so they can relax while the girls are getting ready downstairs in the bridal suite (which is also really awesome:-)
CARLOUEL YACHT CLUB - CLEARWATER BEACH
Carlouel Yacht Club is the very north end of Clearwater beach, which by the way was named number 1 in Trip Advisor’s list of top beaches 2019. It is the only private stretch of Clearwater beach that there is, so you have the beauty of Clearwater beach without all the people. There’s a long boardwalk that goes out to the beach for the ceremony which makes for a nice dramatic entrance for the wedding party. Inside the club is a nautical Tommy Bahama vibe, with the white wood and navy. In the foyer they have a white brick fireplace that leads out to the pool deck and marina. You can even arrive or leave on a yacht! We’ve been photographing weddings there for gosh, 9 years now - check out these weddings to see lots more of Carlouel Yacht Club.
1. Number of guests up to 400
2. Style - Historic Resort
3. Founded in 1934, when naming the Club was discussed, it was easily solved by combining the first syllables of the names of the founders’ wives - Caroline Hobart, Louise Palmer, and Eleanor Randolph. The Club was thus named Car-lou-el.
4. It’s across the street from the Gulf and the pool deck is on the inter-coastal so you have both the sand and docks.
5. Some of the prettiest beach sunsets you’ll ever see
THE ORLO - HYDE PARK
This giant gorgeous house was built in 1896 by Orlo J. Spafford, the president of the Tampa National Bank. In 1922 he sold it to the Tampa Women’s Club and they added a dance hall to host extravagant parties. The house and dance hall have both been restored and are literally stunning! It’s also relatively new, opened within the last 2 years, so definitely a unique find. It’s located right in Hyde Park, so very close to lots of great things to do, the hotel, and the Tampa Airport.
1. Number of guests 20-295
2. Style - Historic but modern
3. The bridal suite is to die for and so is the stairwell and the amazing windows with beautiful light.
4. You have your choice of approved caterers and then bring in all the vendors you want
5. Options for ceremony and reception
Check out this wedding we did there and this engagement session to see more of the Orlo!
ISLA DEL SOL YACHT AND COUNTRY CLUB - ST. PETERSBURG
Just minutes from St. Pete Beach and St. Petersburg Isla has all the perks of a private club, but you don’t have to be a member to get married there. One of our favorite things about Isla is that they only do one wedding a weekend and the beach there is totally private. It’s also a golf course so while the girls are all getting ready early in the morning the boys can go and play a round of golf. There’s also so many different place there for photos, on the golf course, the beach, the docks, and if you have enough time they will allow you to take golf carts and get some stunning views under the bridge.
1. Number of guests 60-250
2. Style - Coastal, Beach, Nautical
3. You can do your exit on a catamaran or boat (weather permitting of course:-).
4. The space for the guys to get reads is nautical themed with big couches and places to hang out.
5. The backup space if the weather is not cooperating is landing of the winding foyer stairwell with 2 stories of windows, it’s really pretty!
Check out these weddings to see all the different and cool locations that Isla has to offer!
AVILA GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB - TAMPA
Avila is an exclusive country club that is mediterranean in style with vintage chandeliers and as you walk in there is a 30 ft atrium that is perfect for an indoor ceremony and dance floor. Upstairs they have a really room for the girls to get ready in and downstairs a room for the guys as well. The 2nd floor makes for a beautiful spot for a first look and they will take you around the golf course for photos with mossy trees, ponds, and bridges in the background. Their staff is amazing to work with and literally if you needed to stay inside for everything you totally could with all the amazing natural light that comes through.
1. Number of guests 40-200
2. Style - French, Vintage, Mediterranean
3. You can do your ceremony in the atrium or even on the front steps we’ve done both and it’s so pretty.
4. The 2nd floor is such a cool vantage point to get different perspectives of the ceremony and reception.
5. There’s really great rooms for both the girls and guys to get ready in.
Check out these weddings for some inspiration and different locations that Avila has to offer.
GASPARILLA INN - BOCA GRANDE
This is not quite in the Tampa Bay area, but not too far! About 2 hours south in Boca Grande but it is a great destination location that isn’t too far and it’s named after the Pirate, Jose Gaspar, who is legendary for plundering the seas and stashing them on Gasparilla Island. The Inn has been serving guests since 1913 and also has the beach club that is right on the Gulf of Mexico. It has a spa, golf course, tennis courts, and is on a huge property with multiple options for an indoor or outdoor ceremony. In the lobby are several different rooms decorated in old Florida style that are gorgeous for photographs.
1. Number of guests up to 250
2. Style - Old Florida
3. It’s within walking distance to the little town of Boca Grande and one street is called Banyan St. because it is lined with huge historic banyan trees.
4. There’s several different options for ceremony and reception whether you want Golf Course view, the Inn, or Gulf View at the beach club.
5. In the lobby there’s several really cool rooms with old Florida style furniture and wallpaper, with huge doors and window light.
Here’s a wedding we did there where they got ready at the Inn and then did their ceremony in Boca Grande and reception at the Beach Club.
THE COLLIER INN - USEPPA ISLAND
The Collier Inn on is on the limited access, 100 acre Useppa Island, which is only accessible by boat or air. It’s actually just south of Boca Grande and north of Cape Coral. It truly feels like a private island because there’s no cars allowed and it’s definitely one of the most unique and memorable experiences your guests will have. We photographed Jessica and Jon’s wedding there at the foot of the steps of the Collier Inn. There are really amazing banyan trees, a gorgeous dock for sunset, and their reception was family style inside the Collier Inn.
1. Number of guests up to 80
2. Style - Old Florida
3. The island itself is a private club so you don’t have to be a property owner to be a member.
4. There’s a private beach, historic Collier Inn, or even a more casual option at their Tarpon Bar.
5. The walkways with twisty banyan trees are palms are so pretty!
POWEL CROSLEY ESTATE - SARASOTA
Powel Crosley Jr. was from Cincinnati Ohio and is known for radios, broadcasting, and owning the Cincinnati Reds. Powel Crosley estate in Sarasota, happened to be his summer home called Seagate and interestingly enough we have photographed a wedding at his original home in Cincinnati, that is also a venue called Pinecroft at Crosely Estate. The house itself is a 1920s era estate with a huge patio and lawn right on the water. Check out more weddings and inspiration from the Powel Crosley Estate.
1. Number of guests 20-1000
2. Style - Roaring 1920’s theme
3. The sunsets on the lawn are stunning
4. The Romeo/Juliet balcony, stairwell, archways, vintage furniture, and light fixtures are beautiful especially for photos.
5. It’s right in between Sarasota/Bradenton and located near the Sarasota/Bradenton airport.